View Single Post
Old 10-20-2019, 08:20 AM
CAirBear
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2013

Originally Posted by phly View Post
Sorry for the slight thread drift guys, but I have a question which I didn't think it warranted a new post.

I am in the position where I'm very unattached to my location and can choose to live anywhere I want for the long term. Currently in ORD but I don't want to buy property in Chicago.

Would it be dumb to choose to commute in exchange for a place I like?

In the interview they explained the X and Y list for open time pickups. Is it possible to still be able to make some extra money on the Y list in a heavily serviced destination?

Would you say that I am crazy for even considering the idea of choosing to commute?
One of the greatest things about this job/career is you can live anywhere you want. Almost no other career you can do this at, outside of having a telecommuter/online position with a major company.

I commute and have ever since I started my airline career nearly a decade ago. Lots of people do. I grew up in a terrific city and it’s close to base and has 10-12 flights a day to work/home. It’s stupid easy and almost zero stress to/from.

I get so sick of people that try and shams commuters, like we are all morons for not living in base. GTFO here with that BS.

One year, at my regional, I actually moved and “lived in base”. Guess what? The city sucked, I had almost no friends (outside of the few at work) and after a couple months, guess what I did? I started commuting out on days off and having fun and a life again.

Live where you want. Unless your truly living in the middle of nowhere, it’s not hard find flights to your domicile.