Old 10-29-2019, 02:19 PM
David Puddy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2015
Position: Left

Originally Posted by e6bpilot View Post
I think you are way off the mark here. On a cost basis, I think a 737 Max is going to prove to be just about the cheapest airplane out there for CASM. Airlines like DL may be able to pull off a higher PRASM number with the 220, but that has more to do with their network and product.
Pax comfort is mostly about cabin configuration. The 737 sucks, but having ridden all different carriers and many different airframes, I would take a mid cabin window seat or exit row on the 2 seat side of a MD80 over just about any other domestic product.
Way off the mark? If the 700 MAX were such a great airplane from a CASM perspective more than your airline would have ordered it. The A220-300’s very low CASM is already proven. And passengers actually rave about flying on the A220 according to my Delta buddies. Bigger bins, bigger windows, 2x3 seating and bigger lavs - what’s not to like?

If Ryanair in Europe is leaning away from an all-737 fleet, so can SWA. Considering that the Airbus backlog is huge while the A220 backlog is modest (but growing), the A220-300 is the logical consideration unless SWA wants to keep all of its eggs in one basket going forward...