Old 10-30-2019, 08:13 AM
David Puddy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2015
Position: Left

Originally Posted by Proximity View Post
You don't understand...at SWA we care about customer experience, but only if it's something we can provide without spending money.

We're getting brand new airplanes (well we will eventually get) with no charging ports and internet from 10 years ago. These are 6-7 hour airplanes. We now allow free movies and free texting which only encourages people to use their devices more. Apparently our customer don't want charging ports and are happy with our internet...

I ride on Delta (AA and UA might be good to, just don't ride them much) quite frequently...they quality of their product compared to ours concerns me.
Like Delta, SWA is a very good negotiator and I am not worried about what SWA would pay for a bulk order. Airbus would likely bend over backwards for a SWA order. With Delta’s order, the result was an airplane that is significantly more ergonomic and comfortable than the 737 and Airbus - even the newer versions. But Delta didn’t pay extra for the interior because it was actually designed to be ergonomic and different from the start. Everyone knows 737s are tubular and uncomfortable - a 5+ hour flight on a 737 is tortuous. SWA would benefit from the current product offering and likely wouldn’t need to change much - it already offers huge bins, 2x3 seating, big windows for better light and large lavs.

Sure, I ain’t an accountant, but I know a lower CASM contributes to more profits. Pretty soon we will see more A220s from Delta, JetBlue, Air Canada and Dave Neelman’s Moxy flying around North America and people will start to take notice (especially if the flexible A220s open-up new routes due to their lower operational break even). SWA needs to address the sole-supplier risk issue and adding more 737s isn’t the answer. If Ryanair in Europe with its hundreds and hundreds of 737-800s is now adding Airbus to the mix, and Westjet in Canada transitioned from only 737s to 4 fleet types (Q400, 737, 767 and 787), SWA can be open too. Times and risks change.