Thread: Optimizer
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2019, 02:07 AM
sailingfun
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008

Originally Posted by vyperdriver View Post
yes I have WS'd, in fact I had to WS to get to the 72hrs I'm getting this month and WS to get more trips is exactly the opposite of what I'm trying to do, and one of the trips blocks in after midnight, not before midnight, but during the 2 hour carve out, which in essence takes a day, or at least a portion of my day away from my family on an otherwise day off. Swapping a trip with no credit, for another trip with no credit doesnt solve the problem. The optimization that is taking place is significantly impacting quality of life for many, not just me. I spent the last 10 months on reserve, and not one single month, other than vacation month did I fly less than 84 hrs of HARD time. I surpassed the ALV as a reserve guy every month, and not because I green slipped or asked to fly. Scheduling has gotten great at assigning 15hr trips when you are within a few minutes of being full. I'm simply making the observation that 2 years ago, I could fly 11 to 12 days and make what now takes 14 to 16 days and while on reserve I fly EVERY single day of availability except when I time out due to 30/168 rules or approach the ALV +15. The optimizer is significantly impacting our quality of life, at least in NYC. The commutability is virtually non existent, and your right that simply moving to NYC, although getting hammered with $26k in additional taxes would solve the commute problem, it wouldnt solve work days required to make equivalent money.
Just curious, when you have a trip that signs in after say 5 pm do you count that as a day of work or day with the family?