View Single Post
Old 11-11-2019, 05:18 PM
AerialsInTheSky
New Hire

Joined APC: Nov 2019

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
2-3 days per month? Probably need to look for some niche 91135 gig.
A what now?

Or 2-3 days at a time? Airline trips are usually 2-4 days long, with a little seniority you could hold 2 and 3 day trips at most companies. Four day trip = three nights in a hotel.
Well, I meant 3 nights from home, but if I had to up that to 4 to have a whole lot more options, I guess thats fine. I'm just not triying to be gone for 14 straight nights.

The best aviation jobs in the world are pretty much going to be here in the US, major airlines or high-end corporate. Unless you're a citizen nobody overseas will hire you unless you already have experience (usually PIC) in the exact airline type they need. Once you get that, there are jobs in Asia and the middle-east, plus a few other out-of-the-way places.
OK, I wasnt sure if there was some sweet gigs in China or Mid-East or something, thought they were hiring 50hr pilots for 300k or something (hyperbolizing lol)

Airlines will give you some but not a lot of extra preference for graduate degrees. Regionals don't care, they'll hire almost anyone education or not, but majors get competitive so every little bit helps.

I would avoid almost any situation where you're a pilot AND an office worker. That will usually mean office salary and fly during your time off. Or fly during working hours and catch up on your real job on your time off. Basically going to mean fly for free and probably too many balls to juggle to keep it safe.
Roger

Need 25 ME for regionals. Other ME turbine jobs will likely require, and if you're single pilot it might be several hundred hours more.
I can come up with 25 easy. I can probably get 50-100 without trouble, more is gonna be tricky.

For regionals, the mins to get hired are pretty much ATP mins and 25 ME. Unless you have serious black marks or scare them at the interview, you're hired.

For majors the PUBLISHED MINIMUMS are typically 1,000 ME Turbine (and 1,000 TPIC for a few), but nobody gets hired that low unless they're a lucky fighter pilot, VERY well connected, or have multiple affirmative action qualifications. As a civilian you'll need about 5-8K total time, and 1-3K TPIC to be in the ballpark to get a call. That's for 121 regional TPIC, for 91/135 it's probably going to take more time and more type ratings.
Are there any certain airlines that people appreciate more than others these days? I'm really not in the loop on which ones have a decent reputation.

It sounds like my best bet would be go to regional for a few years. So question is, which one...