View Single Post
Old 11-20-2019, 08:16 PM
Thedude86
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2017

Originally Posted by Shenzi105 View Post
The OP was saying... when posters keep comparing both and say ng how life/benefits/pay is so much better at the "121", that it should be underlined ed that it is at the majors/legacy, that "life is like paradise on earth", not ALL 121, and especially not the regionals and definitely not PSA, but it's definitely worth it for the 10 years flow.

LOL, funny there. YEAR 1 at NJA, flying a 20,000 lbs aircraft, is $80K or $85K, and after FDP and other overtime a Year 1 guy average what you make at Year 5 as a Captain.

and if you want 15 days guarantee per month, 7 on 7 off, schedule set, predicted, for the next 3-4 years if you want, you'll make min. guarantee $65K Year 1 and get around $100K with FDP and overtime. So, not even close, especially PSA where you guys are struggling to fly 75 hrs/month.

Anyway, I am getting off track. My point was yes, NJA is not at all like the majors/legacy but when people say it's so much better at the major, I am supposing that they are comparing with the majors/legacy, not the regionals. So, we agree
First, not that it should be a deciding factor but it’s closer to a 5.5 year flow.

Second, I never said you can’t make significantly more at NJA than a regional. My argument was that the guys that make significantly more are flying their butt off which is what you kinda hinted at. I’ve read these threads. A few guys on here have said a little more than half of the NJA pilots fly the 7/7 schedule. Compared to that.... PSA is only slightly less in pay. Republic and Endeavor are pretty much on par while having more days off of your choosing. It’s more of an apples/oranges comparison but I would also argue the Republic and Endeavor pilots are making more over a 5-7 year time span since half of that time is on captain pay. Of course NJA captain pay is quite a bit more but who cares if you’re looking to move on in 5 years. Just like I don’t care about Legacy wide body pay. I’ll likely retire before my seniority can hold it.

Like I also said, career wise NJA is a no brainer. If you’re looking at 5-7 years or less present day regionals give NJA a run for their money especially if you want more schedule flexibility. And the pay will continue to go up for another few years.

Edit* actually looks like 5 year captain pay at NJA is about 20k less than what the Republic and Endeavor guys are making at 5 years unless you want pick up extra flying.

Last edited by Thedude86; 11-20-2019 at 08:50 PM.