Thread: Eye Opinion
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2019, 05:41 AM
baseball
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2013

Originally Posted by BMEP100 View Post
You got my attention, as I’ve had 20/13 since first tested in ROTC. (Well the right eye has deteriorated to 20/20)

But how did your original AME screw up so badly? Did the nurse just add an extra zero to the eye test result? Please give us the details.

And to the OP; Somashu, thanks for posting your question here...this is how others benefit from experience. Just ignore Thor. There will always be a few elitist bullies on this board.
I was pretty tired. I came in from a 3 day Tokyo trip. Really tired. Should not have done my medical that day....It was day after trip. The machine had "flecks" in it. It was poorly lit. I did some research. The machines do require maintenance from time to time. new bulbs, and change out the cards as the letters can "fleck" , like paint peeling or falling off.

My AME had me stand in the hall and read eye chart. Nurse said to read line 6 but pointed to line 7. I tried and struggled with line 7. he was observing test. He flagged me and said that's enough.

I now test at 20/13 on a good day, but on most days it's 20/20. I've recently gone back to school and it requires allot of reading. mostly online. it hurts my eyes. I've had some bad headaches after reading small font. one eye throbbing, etc. I got diagnosed with astygmitism in one eye. but, it's very slight.

If I wasn't doing so much reading I don't think I would be having any issues. but, it's also part of getting older. As you change, so do your eyes. As your habits change your eyes try to adapt and to compensate.

I went to a new AME with a new eye machine. No issues. the new AME said he gets allot of clients because of that doctors third world piece of crap eye machine. more than a few pilots left his office frustrated. I have run into a few pilots in the new doctors office, most of them complain to me about their former AME's eye machine.

I brought my prescription with me recently to my new AME to get tested during my physical. He did not put the limitation on me for corrective lenses as I can still pass the test with 20 20 without them.