Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-20-2019, 05:35 PM   #1  
New Hire
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Nov 2019
Posts: 1
Default Eye Opinion

While having my class 1 medical certificate, I have been ask for Eye Specialist opinion and my class 1 medical certificate has been put on temporary unfit.
Dr asked me to have an opinion on Krukenberg spindle.

Will I get the clearance if I have Krukenberg spindle ?
somanshu is offline  
Old 11-20-2019, 06:38 PM   #2  
You look like a nail
 
Thor's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2012
Posts: 377
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by somanshu View Post
While having my class 1 medical certificate, I have been ask for Eye Specialist opinion and my class 1 medical certificate has been put on temporary unfit.
Dr asked me to have an opinion on Krukenberg spindle.

Will I get the clearance if I have Krukenberg spindle ?
Youíre a United pilot? Call ALPA aeromed and stop posting here.
Thor is offline  
Old 11-21-2019, 05:13 AM   #3  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,488
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Youíre a United pilot? Call ALPA aeromed and stop posting here.
Two thumbs up.
It's part of what we pay dues for; they should be the first stop for any medical issues.
Andy is offline  
Old 11-21-2019, 05:57 AM   #4  
Gets Weekends Off
 
KonaJoe's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2019
Position: Guppy.
Posts: 218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Youíre a United pilot? Call ALPA aeromed and stop posting here.
I'm not a detective or anything, but I think there are enough clues in that post to pretty much guarantee the OP is not a United pilot.
KonaJoe is offline  
Old 11-21-2019, 07:09 AM   #5  
Not at work
 
blockplus's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2014
Position: 737 ca
Posts: 251
Default

GA pilots go here (Skywest included)

https://www.aopa.org/go-fly/medical-resources


Union represented pilots go here
https://www.aviationmedicine.com/consult-an-amas-physician/air-line-pilots-association-international-alpa/
blockplus is offline  
Old 11-21-2019, 09:56 AM   #6  
Gets Weekends Off
 
FXLAX's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2017
Posts: 854
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockplus View Post
GA pilots go here (Skywest included)



https://www.aopa.org/go-fly/medical-resources


Any non-ALPA pilots. Not just non-union.
FXLAX is offline  
Old 11-21-2019, 02:35 PM   #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
baseball's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,922
Default

About 12 years ago I couldn't pass my class 1 eye test. I had to go to a specialist. I told specialist that my FAA doctor said I needed glasses.

Eye specialist did a battery of tests. Said I didn't have 20/20. I had 20/13. The FAA dr. said I had worse than 20/200.

I wouldn't just take the FAA Doc's word for it regarding eye balls.

I still don't have glasses some 13 years later and I quit going to that one FAA guy who said I needed glasses.

We do have very good eyesight insurance at UA. I signed up for the family plan as my wife needs corrective lenses. Hopefully you signed up for that in addition to getting a competent eye specialist to help you.

I followed ALPA Aeromedical's advice and notified them immediately when I flagged my medical. My medical was also put on temporary hold while I got the glasses issue sorted out.

These FAA designated aeromedical examiners aren't necessarilly eye specilists. They take a "cookie cutter" approach to this stuff.
baseball is offline  
Old 11-23-2019, 06:28 AM   #8  
Banned
 
Joined APC: May 2014
Position: Tomís Whipping boy.
Posts: 1,180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball View Post
About 12 years ago I couldn't pass my class 1 eye test. I had to go to a specialist. I told specialist that my FAA doctor said I needed glasses.

Eye specialist did a battery of tests. Said I didn't have 20/20. I had 20/13. The FAA dr. said I had worse than 20/200.

I wouldn't just take the FAA Doc's word for it regarding eye balls.

I still don't have glasses some 13 years later and I quit going to that one FAA guy who said I needed glasses.
You got my attention, as Iíve had 20/13 since first tested in ROTC. (Well the right eye has deteriorated to 20/20)

But how did your original AME screw up so badly? Did the nurse just add an extra zero to the eye test result? Please give us the details.

And to the OP; Somashu, thanks for posting your question here...this is how others benefit from experience. Just ignore Thor. There will always be a few elitist bullies on this board.
BMEP100 is offline  
Old 11-23-2019, 06:41 AM   #9  
Gets Weekends Off
 
baseball's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,922
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMEP100 View Post
You got my attention, as Iíve had 20/13 since first tested in ROTC. (Well the right eye has deteriorated to 20/20)

But how did your original AME screw up so badly? Did the nurse just add an extra zero to the eye test result? Please give us the details.

And to the OP; Somashu, thanks for posting your question here...this is how others benefit from experience. Just ignore Thor. There will always be a few elitist bullies on this board.
I was pretty tired. I came in from a 3 day Tokyo trip. Really tired. Should not have done my medical that day....It was day after trip. The machine had "flecks" in it. It was poorly lit. I did some research. The machines do require maintenance from time to time. new bulbs, and change out the cards as the letters can "fleck" , like paint peeling or falling off.

My AME had me stand in the hall and read eye chart. Nurse said to read line 6 but pointed to line 7. I tried and struggled with line 7. he was observing test. He flagged me and said that's enough.

I now test at 20/13 on a good day, but on most days it's 20/20. I've recently gone back to school and it requires allot of reading. mostly online. it hurts my eyes. I've had some bad headaches after reading small font. one eye throbbing, etc. I got diagnosed with astygmitism in one eye. but, it's very slight.

If I wasn't doing so much reading I don't think I would be having any issues. but, it's also part of getting older. As you change, so do your eyes. As your habits change your eyes try to adapt and to compensate.

I went to a new AME with a new eye machine. No issues. the new AME said he gets allot of clients because of that doctors third world piece of crap eye machine. more than a few pilots left his office frustrated. I have run into a few pilots in the new doctors office, most of them complain to me about their former AME's eye machine.

I brought my prescription with me recently to my new AME to get tested during my physical. He did not put the limitation on me for corrective lenses as I can still pass the test with 20 20 without them.
baseball is offline  
Old 11-23-2019, 11:52 AM   #10  
Line Holder
 
Jodaaddy's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2015
Posts: 35
Default

Iíve had a Krukenberg spindle in one eye since at least age 21, itís never had any effect on my vision or ability to hold a first class medical. I would say:

1) call ALPA
2) get a new AME for pulling your medical first and asking questions later
Jodaaddy is online now  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
In the eye WC-130 PurpleOrange Your Photos and Videos 6 09-01-2008 08:34 PM
Your Opinion On moving to base ksatflyer Regional 3 02-20-2008 07:03 PM
Anyone Know A good eye doctor AndresUmana Pilot Health 0 06-28-2006 03:40 PM
Anyone ever try the "free" sunglasses from Sonic Eye Wear? jimthom2 Hangar Talk 1 03-25-2006 10:50 PM
FedEx, UPS, DHL train eager eye on China Diesel 10 Cargo 1 10-14-2005 05:53 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:14 PM.