View Single Post
Old 11-25-2019, 05:24 AM
Av8tor0773
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2019
Default Envoy vs. the other regionals

I know this type of question is often asked and debated - I've read every thread in here and haven't found the answer based on my situation - so, I thought I'd ask and hopefully I'll get some solid advice.

I'm about to start interviewing for the regionals with an available for training date 1 Nov 2020 - so i'm basically 11 months out. I'm retiring from the army after 26 years.

First, what I think I should do - go to a regional with the shortest reserve, the most flying, quickest upgrade, and the best bonus. Here's my reasoning. I have 4700TT, roughly 2500 airplane, and 2200 helo. 1350 PIC/1975 TT in King Air 200. All but 525 of my FW time is military, the 525 is GA time. I have a masters degree and I'm a CFI/CFII/MEI. I would think that getting some 121 time would make me pretty competitive at the majors, but I really don't know.

My buddy tells me, go to Envoy or PSA, they have Flow and great AA travel perks. But, I just can't imagine not getting to a major before I would Flow. I will have to commute regardless of who I go with - I live in Austin and can't relocate right away.

Envoy is only a 2.5 hour drive to training, and I guess it's possible I could get DFW (although, from reading, it doesn't look likely). My other primary considerations are TransStates, ExpressJet, Republic - will consider anyone if it makes sense.

Both TransStates and Expressjet have large bonuses. TS-25K completion of IOE and 15K more at one year anniversary. XJT - 27K completion of IOE.

Republic/ExpressJet possibility of IAH (only 2.5 hour drive).
TS multiple direct flights to DEN, ORD, IAD - likely would get one of them.

TransStates almost no reserve.

One thing I really DON'T want to do is commute to reserve and not fly.

so... I'm hoping to get some legitimate advice. Thanks in advance.