Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-25-2019, 06:24 AM   #1  
On Reserve
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Jun 2019
Posts: 18
Default Envoy vs. the other regionals

I know this type of question is often asked and debated - I've read every thread in here and haven't found the answer based on my situation - so, I thought I'd ask and hopefully I'll get some solid advice.

I'm about to start interviewing for the regionals with an available for training date 1 Nov 2020 - so i'm basically 11 months out. I'm retiring from the army after 26 years.

First, what I think I should do - go to a regional with the shortest reserve, the most flying, quickest upgrade, and the best bonus. Here's my reasoning. I have 4700TT, roughly 2500 airplane, and 2200 helo. 1350 PIC/1975 TT in King Air 200. All but 525 of my FW time is military, the 525 is GA time. I have a masters degree and I'm a CFI/CFII/MEI. I would think that getting some 121 time would make me pretty competitive at the majors, but I really don't know.

My buddy tells me, go to Envoy or PSA, they have Flow and great AA travel perks. But, I just can't imagine not getting to a major before I would Flow. I will have to commute regardless of who I go with - I live in Austin and can't relocate right away.

Envoy is only a 2.5 hour drive to training, and I guess it's possible I could get DFW (although, from reading, it doesn't look likely). My other primary considerations are TransStates, ExpressJet, Republic - will consider anyone if it makes sense.

Both TransStates and Expressjet have large bonuses. TS-25K completion of IOE and 15K more at one year anniversary. XJT - 27K completion of IOE.

Republic/ExpressJet possibility of IAH (only 2.5 hour drive).
TS multiple direct flights to DEN, ORD, IAD - likely would get one of them.

TransStates almost no reserve.

One thing I really DON'T want to do is commute to reserve and not fly.

so... I'm hoping to get some legitimate advice. Thanks in advance.
Av8tor0773 is offline  
Old 11-25-2019, 07:01 AM   #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,204
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8tor0773 View Post
I know this type of question is often asked and debated - I've read every thread in here and haven't found the answer based on my situation - so, I thought I'd ask and hopefully I'll get some solid advice.

I'm about to start interviewing for the regionals with an available for training date 1 Nov 2020 - so i'm basically 11 months out. I'm retiring from the army after 26 years.

First, what I think I should do - go to a regional with the shortest reserve, the most flying, quickest upgrade, and the best bonus. Here's my reasoning. I have 4700TT, roughly 2500 airplane, and 2200 helo. 1350 PIC/1975 TT in King Air 200. All but 525 of my FW time is military, the 525 is GA time. I have a masters degree and I'm a CFI/CFII/MEI. I would think that getting some 121 time would make me pretty competitive at the majors, but I really don't know.

My buddy tells me, go to Envoy or PSA, they have Flow and great AA travel perks. But, I just can't imagine not getting to a major before I would Flow. I will have to commute regardless of who I go with - I live in Austin and can't relocate right away.

Envoy is only a 2.5 hour drive to training, and I guess it's possible I could get DFW (although, from reading, it doesn't look likely). My other primary considerations are TransStates, ExpressJet, Republic - will consider anyone if it makes sense.

Both TransStates and Expressjet have large bonuses. TS-25K completion of IOE and 15K more at one year anniversary. XJT - 27K completion of IOE.

Republic/ExpressJet possibility of IAH (only 2.5 hour drive).
TS multiple direct flights to DEN, ORD, IAD - likely would get one of them.

TransStates almost no reserve.

One thing I really DON'T want to do is commute to reserve and not fly.

so... I'm hoping to get some legitimate advice. Thanks in advance.
Well first off thank you for your service and congrats on all your accomplishments. If I were you, I would get to a regional that will fly you the most right away as I "think" you will most likely be able to get picked up pretty easily off the street at a major, assuming they value your time like other military fixed wing time.

Envoy has a wide spectrum of time building their first year and a lot depends on base, aircraft, luck and time of year. Some people barely scratch out 200 hours while others manage nearly 500. Your mileage may vary.

I dont know for sure how majors look at turboprop time vs jet time, especially given yours is all military. Hopefully someone can hop on here that knows that aspect of it and help you out. Best of luck.
Cyio is offline  
Old 11-25-2019, 07:47 AM   #3  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Dec 2012
Posts: 104
Default

I think your start date is too far into the future for any advice you receive here to be meaningful. The industry is dynamic, especially at the regional level, and what is true today in terms of how long youíll sit reserve, how much youíll fly, how long it will take you to upgrade, etc, will most likely not be true one year from now. If I were you, Iíd spend this year watching the industry, try to note what the trends are, whoís growing, whoís shrinking, etc, and in 9 months or so you can start applying to your regionals of choice. Good luck!
sigler is offline  
Old 11-25-2019, 07:58 AM   #4  
Gets Weekends Off
 
CaseTractor's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2014
Position: Pipers!
Posts: 183
Default

Iíve got some perspective with both companies (Envoy and XJT) from looking through a prior military lenses. Both are Mil friendly, Envoy is more appreciative of Mil.

Honestly, itís a wash between the two, and not a bad fit for your situation. XJT has great training and movement is starting to pick up over there. Envoy has a ton of Army folks, so that is a support system that could be considered beneficial. RTP guys seem to do fine here. The movement at envoy is good too. I donít see TS as stable enough to commute that far.

XJT offers a shot at an early UAL interview, Envoy offers the insurance plan of the flow. I feel either place would be great while you build 121 for OTS legacy interviews. Envoy will get you the 121 PIC faster which could be important to supplement the king air time. Both offer some bonus money. Both require considerable contract improvements.

I canít speak much on republic, depends how likely you can get the iah base, if there is one.

Overall I think XJT is better QOL still over Envoy.

Good luck and enjoy the transition!
CaseTractor is offline  
Old 11-25-2019, 09:34 AM   #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
at6d's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2015
Position: Noob on the bottom
Posts: 1,248
Default

Why the regionals?
at6d is offline  
Old 11-25-2019, 09:53 AM   #6  
On Reserve
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Jun 2019
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by at6d View Post
Why the regionals?
I do intend to apply to the majors/LCCs but Iím not sure how they look at my time. Some people tell me Iíll likely get a call from a major, others say I need the jet time. Also, I donít have my ATP yet. I do have the written done, and will probably get the practical knocked out on my own. If it seems like the regionals are needed, then I want to make sure I approach that with the right goal in mind.
Av8tor0773 is offline  
Old 11-25-2019, 09:59 AM   #7  
Porco Rosso
 
ninerdriver's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,081
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigler View Post
I think your start date is too far into the future for any advice you receive here to be meaningful. The industry is dynamic, especially at the regional level, and what is true today in terms of how long youíll sit reserve, how much youíll fly, how long it will take you to upgrade, etc, will most likely not be true one year from now. If I were you, Iíd spend this year watching the industry, try to note what the trends are, whoís growing, whoís shrinking, etc, and in 9 months or so you can start applying to your regionals of choice. Good luck!
This. Don't box yourself in now.
ninerdriver is offline  
Old 11-25-2019, 10:01 AM   #8  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Jan 2018
Posts: 89
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8tor0773 View Post
I do intend to apply to the majors/LCCs but Iím not sure how they look at my time. Some people tell me Iíll likely get a call from a major, others say I need the jet time. Also, I donít have my ATP yet. I do have the written done, and will probably get the practical knocked out on my own. If it seems like the regionals are needed, then I want to make sure I approach that with the right goal in mind.
Sooo... you have military PIC turbine time and a masters? If anything go to a regional with low reserve times, prove you can pass a 121 program and get your ATP, and enjoy getting picked up at mainline. Thatís what a buddy of mine did but he had actual jet time flying harriers. Was at a regional for maybe 7 months when he got hired at a major... but thereís a VERY good chance youíd be hired at a mainline carrier to start with.

Id ask around in those forums of what the odds are and how competitive your times are since you have the hours and military training. American tries to take as many military guys as they can get.
Urban achiever is offline  
Old 11-25-2019, 11:29 AM   #9  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,405
Default

11 months is a long time out. Check back around 3-4 months prior to your separation date as to a realistic snapshot of whatís going on.
havick206 is offline  
Old 11-25-2019, 11:41 AM   #10  
Gets Weekends Off
 
at6d's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2015
Position: Noob on the bottom
Posts: 1,248
Default

Had a guy with similar history in my class at SWA (a CW5 with similar length of service). If the ATP is your only check box to go, get it done and shotgun the apps.
at6d is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Envoy Cadet what to do now? md11pilot11 Envoy Airlines 41 04-12-2019 04:44 PM
Envoy Information Alex14 Envoy Airlines 1680 02-19-2016 05:19 PM
Envoy Aircraft Assignments FortyOneMk2 Envoy Airlines 74 09-13-2015 04:31 PM
Article: Envoy needs 47% fewer pilots satpak77 Envoy Airlines 68 05-04-2014 05:55 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:17 PM.