View Single Post
Old 11-25-2019, 06:01 AM
Cyio
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by Av8tor0773 View Post
I know this type of question is often asked and debated - I've read every thread in here and haven't found the answer based on my situation - so, I thought I'd ask and hopefully I'll get some solid advice.

I'm about to start interviewing for the regionals with an available for training date 1 Nov 2020 - so i'm basically 11 months out. I'm retiring from the army after 26 years.

First, what I think I should do - go to a regional with the shortest reserve, the most flying, quickest upgrade, and the best bonus. Here's my reasoning. I have 4700TT, roughly 2500 airplane, and 2200 helo. 1350 PIC/1975 TT in King Air 200. All but 525 of my FW time is military, the 525 is GA time. I have a masters degree and I'm a CFI/CFII/MEI. I would think that getting some 121 time would make me pretty competitive at the majors, but I really don't know.

My buddy tells me, go to Envoy or PSA, they have Flow and great AA travel perks. But, I just can't imagine not getting to a major before I would Flow. I will have to commute regardless of who I go with - I live in Austin and can't relocate right away.

Envoy is only a 2.5 hour drive to training, and I guess it's possible I could get DFW (although, from reading, it doesn't look likely). My other primary considerations are TransStates, ExpressJet, Republic - will consider anyone if it makes sense.

Both TransStates and Expressjet have large bonuses. TS-25K completion of IOE and 15K more at one year anniversary. XJT - 27K completion of IOE.

Republic/ExpressJet possibility of IAH (only 2.5 hour drive).
TS multiple direct flights to DEN, ORD, IAD - likely would get one of them.

TransStates almost no reserve.

One thing I really DON'T want to do is commute to reserve and not fly.

so... I'm hoping to get some legitimate advice. Thanks in advance.
Well first off thank you for your service and congrats on all your accomplishments. If I were you, I would get to a regional that will fly you the most right away as I "think" you will most likely be able to get picked up pretty easily off the street at a major, assuming they value your time like other military fixed wing time.

Envoy has a wide spectrum of time building their first year and a lot depends on base, aircraft, luck and time of year. Some people barely scratch out 200 hours while others manage nearly 500. Your mileage may vary.

I dont know for sure how majors look at turboprop time vs jet time, especially given yours is all military. Hopefully someone can hop on here that knows that aspect of it and help you out. Best of luck.