View Single Post
Old 12-19-2019, 08:58 AM
Douglas89
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2019

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
I don't like anything to do with King. Jepp or Cessna products are fine.

Holds and Arcs.

Memorize the compass rose and reciprocal courses.

Chair fly holds (you can do it anywhere with paper and pen) until they become second nature. People fail airline checkrides because they goof up programming the FMS and then can't remember how to hand-fly a hold entry.

DME Arcs: Turn 10, twist 10. Also chair fly a bunch of these, you need to have a second-nature grasp pf the compass rose, when to lead turns, etc. It's all about the compass.

Cessna. Worked fine, didn't have any particular reason for selecting it though.

A few weeks.

Early.

Master the fundamentals before moving to the next step.... otherwise you'll just reinforce bad habits and also suck at the next steps.

Don't try to learn the procedures in the plane, do that on the ground or in an FTD. Only fly when you're ready to APPLY your well-learned procedures in the plane.
Thanks for the info! So far the most confusing part has been holds/Arc's. I will keep practicing them.

I think most guys have been taking about 3 months to finish instrument at my school. At this rate, I don't think I will be ready by then but I guess we will see.

I agree with developing a strong foundation. I need to work on my weaknesses and turn them into strengths.

Thanks!