View Single Post
Old 01-05-2020, 08:57 PM
Flyinlynn
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2016
Position: Cessna 172 CFI
Default Looking for advice

Hi all

I’m a later in life career changer. I chucked it all to try to fly for a regional. Took a long time to get all my ratings working full time but never failed any check ride along the way to CFI.

Got a part time job instructing while still working. Got up to 1,000 hours and quit my day job to instruct full time. Made it to my 1,500 hours and applied with a regional. Left for training fall 2017.

Everything had been going to plan up to that point. But 121 training was nothing like what I had ever experienced and I was very ill prepared. I had about 0.0 glass time and the same for autopilot usage. The majority of my flying was in C172 or similar and stretched out over 10 years. so it didn’t go well. I was making slow progress in the sims and could see I wasn’t going to be able to make it in the time I was allowed so I resigned and went home.

Went home, got my CFII flew some G1000 time. Summer 2018 I applied to a smaller regional and got hired. Training was in a similar RJ so ground went much better. Passed the oral then on to the sims. I maxed out on allowed sims after having a 12 day break due to Christmas holiday. Did a couple of sims after the break and was signed off for the check ride. Didn’t pass...

Since I maxed the sim time they said they couldn’t allow any additional training. So that was it.

I came home and got to work on an MEI. Passed that check ride. Applied at several regionals. Most said no. Got a phone interview with one and two in person interviews. But no offers. Also applied at a large part 135 also a no from them.

So that’s my story. Any advice where to go from here? Do I have any hope left to be a professional pilot beyond CFI?

I was thinking about going to an accelerated ATP course somewhere to maybe at least get the rating and see if that would help at all. Running out of time for the part 121 world in a few more years.

Thanks...