Thread: SkyWest ?’s
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2020, 04:58 PM
brocklee9000
I Pass the Butter

Joined APC: May 2017

Originally Posted by nstaley2 View Post
Hey everyone, I'm currently contemplating going to SkyWest. I would like to fly the ERJ and would prefer to be based out West. Any thoughts on how long it could take to hold a line with SLC or PDX as a base?
Currently, you can get SLC base in training. Reserve for a while. I started class April 2019 and could have been a lineholder starting in January (if I was on ERJ). PDX lineholder a little sooner, I think about 4 months after training. BOI looked similar to PDX. Could finally hold a line in LGA, right on the edge for SEA. MSP for now, but it's so new that they really don't have any reserves yet. I'd be on Reserve still in LAX and DEN, and surprisingly ORD. And would still be at least a few months from getting into SAN (and then reserve for a long time). It seems that the days of getting ORD and being stuck there for a long time are gone, you can get to the west coast pretty quickly on either aircraft.

Originally Posted by Dman2141 View Post
How long to hold DFW as a new hire FO?
Most likely can get transferred in within a month or two after IOE. Expect to be on reserve for a long time though, as DFW is tied with ATL as one of the most-staffed bases, based on the number of lineholders and reserves (most recent shows 76 lines and 26 reserves in DTW and ATL). That equates to about 25% of FOs being on reserve (with more of an average around 12-15% in most bases, and then one really low around 5%). To actually hold a line, it'll be a while. Always some variability, but I could have held a line there around 9 months (about 6 months after checkride).

Originally Posted by Claxstarr View Post
Yes, but it's not an indicator of relative seniority, how large the base is, any movement, time to get a line, etc. I'm also a little dubious about the dates on that page. For example, it shows junior PHX is 8/23/19, but I have friends who were hired prior to that date waiting to get in. So unless that updates before the awards officially came out, I'd treat it with cautious optimism.