View Single Post
Old 01-10-2008, 12:49 PM
subicpilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: A300CAP

Originally Posted by FDXLAG View Post
I am not proposing anything just objecting to your logic. From your quote above I must assume you think it was "fair" to help the pilots whose retirements were reduced. I am simply pointing out that my normal retirement will now be reduced. It will not be what I would have expected pre age 65. Excuse me for not thanking ALPA for giving me the chance to work more to make it up.

The exception above is a pretty big exception here at FEDEX. And a lot more pilots will be hurt by this then were helped by the FEDEX MEC push for retro activity. How is this fair?
I thought we were discussing the "targeted pay raise" issue...my bad...

Anywho...

You have a valid point about the retro language. FDX ALPA, specifically DW will go down in history for this...good and bad. I agree that more are hurt by this than helped.

We knew when we voted ALPA onto the property that it was going to come with some baggage. Part of that baggage is that ALPA national's views and it's responsibility to the passenger carriers is often in conflict with the FedEx pilots best interests. Our MEC could have fought this, but we would have been in the vast minority and would have made little difference in the final outcome, IMHO. I think it was an unpleasant, although realistic approach to realize that this thing was going to happen and we might as well get on board with it, get it, and get over it, as soon as possible.

My personal opinion, for whatever it's worth, is yes, I do think it was the right thing to do. After all, the whole objective of working for a career is to be able to retire and enjoy your later years. To have your retirement yanked out from under your feet right before you are ready to start using it just scares the crap out of me! As of yet, we at FedEx have not been forced to work those extra 5 years, and we may never have to (keep your fingers crossed).