Old 03-02-2020, 01:08 PM
HouseMouse
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2020

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
You can apply early to regionals, many will interview you and give you a CJO conditional on getting your hours. They might even give you a class date if you can project when you'll be R-ATP eligible.

I'd prioritize your top preferred regional employer(s), apply to them first and see what happens. Then go from there.

Primary considerations for a regional are geography and upgrade opportunity. If you are free to move anywhere, go for upgrade opportunity and QOL/pay.

Under the circumstances of a presumably adverse departure from the mil, you should plan on staying for a while at a regional, upgrading and acquiring some 121 PIC. If your mil situation is so adverse that you're at risk of not getting a major job, might want to consider longer-term factors in selecting a regional (size, stability, culture, etc). But there's also fractionals and ACMI, you'll have options as long as the majors are hiring, worst case that opens things up down the food chain.
I appreciate the detailed response from you and everyone else in the thread.

To follow up to your post, what kind of impact would having a general discharge from the military be on getting picked up by the majors? I’m fairly certain this won’t happen to me, but I’m definitely looking to plan for every scenario in case it does. I would have excellent references from my supervisors and commander. I’m not able to find too much information online as to how it would affect me, but it sounds like it wouldn’t be an issue with the regionals but would be a black mark in the eyes of the majors.