Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Career Builder > Military
Low Hour Military Pilot Transitioning Out >

Low Hour Military Pilot Transitioning Out

Notices
Military Military Aviation

Low Hour Military Pilot Transitioning Out

Old 02-28-2020, 03:36 PM
  #1  
On Reserve
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Feb 2020
Posts: 21
Default Low Hour Military Pilot Transitioning Out

Hey all, I've got a unique situation and was wondering if anyone had advice for me. I'm currently a fixed wing, multi-engine pilot in the military with roughly 600 total hours. 50 from small GA aircraft, 250 from the military training program, and 300 from the current airframe I'm in. Unfortunately it looks like my military career may be coming to an end. I won't go into the details about it and it has nothing to do with medical or anything like that. But I wanted to know what you all think my best option would be. I'm obviously under the ATP requirements, but haven't done much research into civilian flying. Are regionals what I should be aiming for? And am I even competitive to be hired by them yet?

Thanks all for the help.
HouseMouse is offline  
Old 02-28-2020, 04:39 PM
  #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2020
Posts: 175
Default

Pick one that allows you to fly from home, if possible. Yes they'll hire you right now with your current hours, with the expectation of finishing the other 150 and meeting individual time requirements for the R-ATP.
LabDad06 is offline  
Old 02-28-2020, 05:27 PM
  #3  
Gets Weekends Off
 
galaxy flyer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2010
Position: Baja Vermont
Posts: 5,167
Default

Originally Posted by HouseMouse View Post
Hey all, I've got a unique situation and was wondering if anyone had advice for me. I'm currently a fixed wing, multi-engine pilot in the military with roughly 600 total hours. 50 from small GA aircraft, 250 from the military training program, and 300 from the current airframe I'm in. Unfortunately it looks like my military career may be coming to an end. I won't go into the details about it and it has nothing to do with medical or anything like that. But I wanted to know what you all think my best option would be. I'm obviously under the ATP requirements, but haven't done much research into civilian flying. Are regionals what I should be aiming for? And am I even competitive to be hired by them yet?

Thanks all for the help.
in today’s world, where AD is sending pilots to ANG units. They’re pretty short, I don’t get it.
galaxy flyer is offline  
Old 02-28-2020, 07:12 PM
  #4  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 38,900
Default

Assuming you are not getting formally removed from flight status, you'll be ATP eligible at 750 hours... any hours, regardless of where you get them. So you could do any GA job to get there, or get a CFI and do that for a while, and the off to the regionals.

You'll *probably* be in better shape for getting to the majors than the average civilian/regional pilot, but that does depend on the circumstances of your leaving the mil early.
rickair7777 is offline  
Old 02-28-2020, 07:58 PM
  #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jun 2011
Posts: 497
Default

I know a guy (wink) that has a similar situation. Feel free to PM if you want to learn a little more and don’t want to share details in a public space. Whether you are R-ATP eligible is a little bit complicated and will depend on what’s taking you out of the cockpit. And even then you may still fall into a grey area.

Last edited by kaputt; 02-28-2020 at 08:17 PM.
kaputt is offline  
Old 02-28-2020, 08:35 PM
  #6  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Mar 2017
Posts: 94
Default

Originally Posted by galaxy flyer View Post
in today’s world, where AD is sending pilots to ANG units. They’re pretty short, I don’t get it.


I saw someone in my former unit get medically DQ by AF, got FAA class 1. After being medically retired they got a job at a regional. Said person was still a FP when they were DQ


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ps2sunvalley is offline  
Old 02-29-2020, 04:33 PM
  #7  
On Reserve
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Feb 2020
Posts: 21
Default

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Assuming you are not getting formally removed from flight status, you'll be ATP eligible at 750 hours... any hours, regardless of where you get them. So you could do any GA job to get there, or get a CFI and do that for a while, and the off to the regionals.

You'll *probably* be in better shape for getting to the majors than the average civilian/regional pilot, but that does depend on the circumstances of your leaving the mil early.
Does it make sense to apply first? Or should I reach 750 before doing anything else?
HouseMouse is offline  
Old 02-29-2020, 04:36 PM
  #8  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Mar 2017
Posts: 94
Default

Originally Posted by HouseMouse View Post
Does it make sense to apply first? Or should I reach 750 before doing anything else?


I would apply now to all regionals. Fly for pay doing something, aerial survey, part 135 cargo, pay to get your CFI. Keep your apps up to date and I’m sure you’ll get a call once you reach 750


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ps2sunvalley is offline  
Old 02-29-2020, 04:47 PM
  #9  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 38,900
Default

Originally Posted by HouseMouse View Post
Does it make sense to apply first? Or should I reach 750 before doing anything else?
You can apply early to regionals, many will interview you and give you a CJO conditional on getting your hours. They might even give you a class date if you can project when you'll be R-ATP eligible.

I'd prioritize your top preferred regional employer(s), apply to them first and see what happens. Then go from there.

Primary considerations for a regional are geography and upgrade opportunity. If you are free to move anywhere, go for upgrade opportunity and QOL/pay.

Under the circumstances of a presumably adverse departure from the mil, you should plan on staying for a while at a regional, upgrading and acquiring some 121 PIC. If your mil situation is so adverse that you're at risk of not getting a major job, might want to consider longer-term factors in selecting a regional (size, stability, culture, etc). But there's also fractionals and ACMI, you'll have options as long as the majors are hiring, worst case that opens things up down the food chain.
rickair7777 is offline  
Old 02-29-2020, 06:18 PM
  #10  
All is fine at .79
 
TiredSoul's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2016
Position: Paahlot
Posts: 4,002
Default

I would recommend against getting your CFI.
Its a lot of work to get, easy to get a fail on your Initial and equally important.....it’s something you really need to want to do...teach.
You’re not doing anybody any favors sitting there not enjoying what you’re doing.
Least of all your students who shouldn’t fall victim to your circumstances.
600-750 hrs should get you in the door with plane sense which would be waaaaay more useful to you then pounding the tarmac in a Cherokee.
TiredSoul is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
egothrasher
Part 91 and Low Time
27
05-05-2019 08:40 AM
benfalk10
Part 91 and Low Time
22
06-02-2016 03:04 PM
JHunt15
Career Questions
7
01-19-2016 10:03 AM
The Klubster
Part 91 and Low Time
20
01-12-2016 05:23 AM
FlywithStyle
Regional
40
06-28-2009 01:20 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Your Privacy Choices