Old 03-10-2020, 03:10 PM
Longhornmaniac8
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2017
Position: Guppy

Originally Posted by 86BravoPapa View Post
I've noticed no one getting MCI the last few classes; assuming because there's no slots, currently (not educated on the factors that go into base assignments). Are you still able to bid any base you want? If so and no vacancies are available, does that put you on a list for when a slot becomes available?
Basically correct. I don't recall the last time I saw someone get MCI out of training. Maybe Fall 2018 there were a couple?

Essentially, pilots currently on the seniority list bid monthly for the vacancies posted by the company, and it's cleared in order of seniority. The shuffling around of people itself creates vacancies, which the company "backfills" by continuing down the seniority list. So it's possible for someone to move into a base with no posted vacancies if someone in that base moves/upgrades/leaves the company.

You are "on a list" if you don't get awarded the base you want, but you don't get any points by being there sooner than someone else. If you've been trying to bid into a specific base, and keep getting denied, someone with more seniority than you who bids it well after you initially bid for it will be awarded it ahead of you.