Thread: First year pay
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2020, 10:37 AM
tnkrdrvr
Occasional box hauler

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by MrBobRoss View Post
Seeing adult men so personally triggered by internet strangers online is sad and weird. This thread is supposed to exchange information to help potential new hires navigate their decision making. If you’re logging on IN YOUR FREE TIME to get into a cat fight with someone you don’t know behind the anonymity of your phone screen, it’s time to eat a sandwich or go for a walk. Calm down, boo.

Anyway, great question re: first year pay. First thing is to understand perspective. With training pay (training is longer for 747 vs 757 due to several factors), you can expect about $50ish year one. That’s what the average American family makes. Since you have a family, consider cutting as many costs as you can. Pick up JAs on your days off (still better pay than nothing), see if your wife can pick up a part time job since she’s stay at home or do something online like sourcing discounted goods and reselling them on amazon or eBay. Sell the car for something a few years older or make do with one car. Look in to free family activities. See what you can sell and don’t do meals out (on the road, we have some very generous Captains AND FO’s who will treat you to several meals because they understand). I have most of my meals free on the plane. I wouldn’t suggest putting things on a credit card only because debt is the devil but that is a strategy that’s worked for many here.
where there’s a will, there’s a way!

now stop yellin at each other! 🤣
Agreed! First year pay blows, but it is possible to make it through on that. A lot of people will tell you not to pick up extra flying while on probation because it increases your risk. That’s true, but the risk is low. Do your job, make conservative decisions, and you’ll be fine. Captains get where you are coming from. Ideally you would be able to use a combination of savings, cutting optional expenses, etc. to eke it out first year. You could also pick up a part time sim instructor gig. Sim companies have been hurt by the pilot hiring wave and can be very accommodating of part time work.