View Single Post
Old 03-14-2020, 04:39 AM
MasterOfPuppets
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2012
Position: 787

Originally Posted by HuggyU2 View Post
Pardon my ignorance. What does that mean?
for example I’m a junior A320 CA.

i could just bid A320 FO in DEN because I know that’s where I’m going to end up. Instead I bid 737 CA on the first round of displacements. So I’m hoping they won’t train me because on the second round I’m going to be tossed from there.

second round I get bumped from the 737 CA seat so I bid WB FO in ORD knowing I won’t be able to hold it later hoping they won’t train me......I remain an A320 CA.

next round I take WB fo in SFO....if I get stuck there I’m ok with that but I don’t expect to keep it....so I remain an A320 CA.

finally we hit the round where I know I’m going to be able to hold any NB base so I take the NB bid I want and go to training. I stretched out my CA pay a lot longer then I could have had I just took the bid I knew I could hold.

its a risk sometimes you will get trained several times and you run the risk of miscalculating what you don’t expect to hold and now you are stuck with a bad commute or reserve for several years until things start moving again. Iv seen pilots benefit and Iv seen pilots kick themselves.