View Single Post
Old 03-14-2020, 05:19 AM
DashTrash
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: SFO Guppy CA

Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
for example I’m a junior A320 CA.

i could just bid A320 FO in DEN because I know that’s where I’m going to end up. Instead I bid 737 CA on the first round of displacements. So I’m hoping they won’t train me because on the second round I’m going to be tossed from there.

second round I get bumped from the 737 CA seat so I bid WB FO in ORD knowing I won’t be able to hold it later hoping they won’t train me......I remain an A320 CA.

next round I take WB fo in SFO....if I get stuck there I’m ok with that but I don’t expect to keep it....so I remain an A320 CA.

finally we hit the round where I know I’m going to be able to hold any NB base so I take the NB bid I want and go to training. I stretched out my CA pay a lot longer then I could have had I just took the bid I knew I could hold.

its a risk sometimes you will get trained several times and you run the risk of miscalculating what you don’t expect to hold and now you are stuck with a bad commute or reserve for several years until things start moving again. Iv seen pilots benefit and Iv seen pilots kick themselves.
In addition to that you’ve been in the training window and have been getting paid 90-93 hours a month, and rolling per diem throughout. Plus hotel rooms and you’re far from the only one that is doing this. Also, if you’re displaced, you can have the Company give you a paid move.