Old 03-17-2020, 11:06 PM
ShyGuy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005

Originally Posted by DontLookDown View Post
The timing of this sucks for anyone who just got hired or who was about to be hired.

For everyone still building time, it doesn’t matter as much. It could even be a good thing.

For example I have been thinking to switch over to the regionals next fall. If the airlines don’t hire for 6 months and then things pick back up in the fall, I might get hired and share seniority with people who hit their minimums 6 months before me.

The hiring freeze is temporary, but this event is a good reminder to be ready to submit the application when the good times start rolling again
Hit their minimums 6 months before you? What mins?

Originally Posted by Pilatus801 View Post
I just heard that at American, they will be offering early retirement options to those at or above age 62. So that will accelerate some of the retirements and open up more seats for newcomers. There may be some upsides to this whole virus thing. It will be interesting to see how things play out.

Anyone here want to attempt to be a prognosticator? Are we looking at a brief setback (3-6 months)? Or is this longer term (1 to 3 years)? Or even longer?
They aren’t offering early outs to make room for newcomers. They’re offering that to get people out so they don’t have to involuntarily furlough.