View Single Post
Old 03-26-2020, 06:39 AM
Andy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: guppy CA

Originally Posted by Sparta View Post
The Diamond Princess and Grand Princess had over 800 positive Covid-19 cases with 10 deaths so far. This is a rate above 1%. The demographics are skewed older but also wealthier with access to good health care (and ventilators). Approximately 15% of the Covid-19 positives require hospitalization and 5% become critical. Most in critical condition will have long term complications if they survive. I will go out on a limb and say human life is more important than the economy or even my job.
That's wrong. Whatever source you used, it is riddled with errors.

I don't know the numbers on Grand Princess, but there were 3711 passengers and crew on Diamond Princess.
Last count I had, 6 people on Diamond Princess died, but I'll go with 10. Let's divide that number by only Diamond Princess pax and crew, ignoring the thousands aboard Grand Princess.

10/3711 = 0.27% mortality rate. Whatever your source of 1%, it's a made up statistic.
Let's then go with 800 (Diamond Princess cases were lower, with ~half of the positive being asymptomatic):
800/3711 = 21.6% of those exposed caught coronavirus.

No, the numbers indicate that coronavirus isn't much different statistically than the flu. The problem is that there is a wide range of patient reactions to coronavirus, from asymptomatic (for a large minority) all the way to death. However, there are a LOT of annual flu deaths so one has to assume that some become extremely ill when they contract the flu.
Like it or not, using the Diamond Princess as a 100% monitored control group, the death rate there was a bit less than 0.2% and an infection rate of less than 20%.

So, no, coronavirus isn't as bad as the media and a lot of 'experts' make it out to be. But sure, let's all go crazy in media-driven freakout where some become doomsday preppers, hoarding toilet paper, hand sanitizer, food, and a variety of other items which will take more than a year to consume.