Thread: Who’s Next?
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2020, 09:06 AM
Duffman
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by rld1k View Post
https://english.alarabiya.net/en/features/2020/03/25/Coronavirus-Iceland-s-mass-testing-finds-half-of-carriers-show-no-symptoms

These fatality numbers are based on people being tested. The majority of people don't even show symptoms, the vast majority of those who do have mild symptoms. The people being tested are the small minority that actually get sick. Pretty obvious to see how these numbers are off by an order of magnitude.

Right, I posted a link earlier that said 46% of the infected people on the cruise ship didn't exhibit symptoms. How are you saying that the 2% fatality rate is blown out of proportion by 20x? Where did you get that number?

2% fatality rate is roughly 20 times deadlier than the flu, but that's the only correlation I can see from your statement and COVID19, but I haven't seen any data that indicates COVID19 only has a 0.1% fatality rate (glassing over COVID19 being much more contagious).

Even on the cruise ship, where they tested everybody, 800 people got the virus, 46% were asymptomatic, and 10 people died. 10/800*100 = 1.25% with proper healthcare, including asymptomatic people. If anything, the fact people can be asymptomatic and contagious with a virus that's, in the cruise ship's case, 12.5 times deadlier than the flu (with proper medical care), should be even more of a reason to quarantine until we at least know what we're up against.