Thread: Class G IFR
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2008, 10:48 AM
WEACLRS
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: 737/FO

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
It is perfectly legal to fly IFR in glass G airspace, including departure and instrument approaches. It is commonly done in some areas (Alaska).

You don't need an IFR flight plan in class G (and ATC would not issue one anyway).

You must meet ALL of the usual currency and equipment rules.

You must use an approved approach (GPS approaches are getting more common at little fields). I don't recall seeing an airport with an approach which was not class E or better, but I think there are some (Alaska maybe?).

On departure you can use a DP (SID) or the Obstacle Departure procedure. I doubt many class G fields have DP/SIDs.

I AM NOT recommending this, but in the absence of a DP or obstacle DP I believe you can make up your own obstacle departure procedure by complying with the requirements of the FAR's for terrain clearance on departure. I think you would have to reference the TERPs. Again, do not go do this.

Enroute, you must fly a route which complies with the normal IFR NAVAID reception and terrain clearance requirements. This would not be unreasonably difficult. You can also use published IFR routes if they exist.

If you leave class G and enter other airspace, you need a normal IFR clearance prior to the point.
Rick's correct.

In fact you've probably flown IFR in class G airspace many times. If you have ever departed a class G field after getting a clearance from ATC (center, approach, FSS...), you have been in class G airspace until you reached class E, normally 700 or 1200 feet agl, but it could be much higher. Your clearance will have included the following statement: "...upon entering controlled airspace...". ATC has no authority within class G airspace. You are totally responsible for your own obstacle clearance and route.

We used to depart out of airports in the Sierra's in CA, VFR, climb up to as high as 11,500' msl and perhaps enter the clouds (staying above the grid MORA), contact ATC (Oakland Center), get our clearance, and then climb into class E airspace above 12,000' msl.