Old 08-17-2005, 08:44 AM
TipsyMcStagger
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2005
Default Go-Guard!

Since you’re seeking opinions, here’s mine. The ground school job is worthless unless A) NWA is the one and only airline you’ve ever wanted to fly for and B) You’ll wait as long as it takes for the situation there to improve to the point that they begin hiring off-the-street.

My first choice in your situation would be full time guard. It’s stable and you’ll make pretty good money. While I realize you said full time is not an option at the moment in your unit, I’d seek a position with a growth mode regional (Chautauqua?) and then pick up as much guard flying as is possible.

Disclaimer; you must realize what’s a growth airline today might be a shrinking airline tomorrow. Most regionals exist on a backbone of contractual agreements. Contracts come and go and so do the companies the regionals are contracted with. Back in 2000, I knew many-a-FO who left other regionals to come to the company I was flying for at the time. When I asked why they left a seemingly stable company, they said they came here for the quick upgrade. Well, things changed and those quick upgrades stopped. Those guys never got their PIC time and most are now furloughed.

Hope this gives you something to think about.

Tipsy