Thread: Perspective....
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2020, 09:43 AM
Scoop
Super Moderator

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: DAL 330

Originally Posted by Hank Kingsley View Post
Sorry, I was hired with a DB available at age 60. I was also 777A at about age 50. I don't consider working an extra 5 years a windfall. Now everyone gets that windfall! So it's not a windfall, it's SOP.

No one is saying you did not get screwed - you did. We all did. But you are missing the point. I was also hired with a DB at 60 and got to yank gear for 5 extra years - who cares? What about the guy who also had a DB when he was hired but had to retire because he turned 60 just prior to the rule changing.

Pilot A had a birthday in December and was forced to retire at 60. Pilot B in the same exact new hire class with a birthday the next month gets five more years on top. This is literally the definition of a windfall.

You are confusing getting screwed with a windfall. They are not mutually exclusive. Pretty much every Pilot hired in the last 40 years got screwed by circumstances at one time or another. Most of these Pilots did not get 5 more years at the top of the food chain.

You also say: Now everyone gets that windfall! So it's not a windfall, it's SOP. Negative. If every guy ahead of you can go to 65 its SOP as you just said. If its SOP it cannot by definition be a windfall - your arguments are not consistent.

Scoop