Old 04-06-2020, 07:46 AM
Tpinks
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2014

Originally Posted by TangoIndiaMike1 View Post
Do you know if theirs anyway for them to retain their captain status in AQP so when upgrade time comes again will they have to go though 2 months of training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No downgrades have ever happened while we are AQP, so I wouldn’t be surprised if there is nothing in place right this moment. however per article 11, You still wear your Captain uniform even once downgraded. So I would expect some sort of short course.

I wouldn’t worry about downgrades too much right now, it’s simply too far ahead to even remotely know what could happen between now and then. Being dual seat qualified however is a benefit to the company when there is no certainty to what will actually be flown. They can run a leaner staffing overall with more captains if they reduce reserve numbers and use captains on everything. I just flew captain on captain yesterday and I’m expecting to see it a lot this month. That captain that was my FO was senior into me, but was on reserve and he said his entire trip was FO flying.

Paying a year 2 captain $93 vs a year two FO $52, the difference is still less than what that a single FO gets. Doing a small example, using just 400 pilots, 200 CA/FO, each at our yr 2 rates, the hourly cost of those 400 pilots is $28,800. If we only furlough 100 FO and no downgrades, that drops it to $23,600. if you furlough 100 and downgrade 50 to make it a 150/150 seat split the total is $21,600. This is a very simple example, and does not account for the varying amounts our captains are making. The closer we furlough towards the captain seniority, the more likely we will have downgrades.