View Single Post
Old 04-13-2020, 03:35 PM
Typhoonpilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2005
Position: tri current

Originally Posted by DylanHK View Post
Wow, what a response! I appreciate it. Currently working at a regional as a CA, would you say it’s better to not go through the trouble of flying for Emirates and just go straight to a legacy if offered the job?

It seems to me that a lot of people go to Emirates because of its initial appeal, and then back out because, in reality, it’s not so great?

I honestly don't know any Americans who have gone to Emirates in the last 5 years or more. I doubt that there are many given how the U.S. airlines have been hiring in that time.

After my first expat experience in the mid 90s, I came back to the USA saying this, "I would rather be an F.O. at a U.S. carrier than a Captain overseas". Up until a month or two ago that would be my exact sentiment. I would not leave a job in the USA for an F.O. job overseas. The only time it makes sense is when there are no jobs in the USA, which may become the case soon.

When I left the USA in late 2002 I did it with the thought that it would be a maximum 10-15 year deal. I lasted 11, so I was right in my predicted range. The point being, any move to a job overseas needs to be well thought out with an exit strategy back to your home country. If you have a significant other, he/she needs to be in agreement with that strategy.

For those who know what I do now, I am speaking more about airline than other types of flying.