View Single Post
Old 04-20-2020, 08:07 AM
horrido27
Banned

Joined APC: Feb 2011
Position: 756 Left Side

Originally Posted by OVC010CB View Post
https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

Per Johns Hopkins as of this morning, the death rate for the US is 7.19 per 100,000 citizens.

Denmark's death rate is 5.08 per 100,000 citizens
Sweden's death rate is 8.98 per 100,000 citizens

Assuming the data is correct (perhaps that isn't a good assumption) Sweden seems to be doing fine. We are dealing with very small numbers for each country.

Compare those death rates to the nations with the most strict lockdowns:

Spain 38.0
Belgium 34.2
Italy 33.9
France 22.4
UK 17.1

Just going by the data the nations with the most severe lockdowns have the highest death rates. I don't pretend to know what the heck is going on here, but as of now there is no scientific evidence lockdowns and stay at home orders through public policy have done much good.

Separating people to avoid viral disease has it's benefits, but on a societal scale until we know the data we are using is valid...well, I think there is a lot to be learned here.
I noticed you didn't add Germany in you list..
They have had a pretty severe lockdown too. And just like the US, there are areas that got hit hard, and other areas (like the former East Germany) that have been mild.

I like numbers. Find them interesting. But a number only tells you a little bit of the answer without more info.
What is the average age of those countries population?
What does their health care system look like?
Those who died in those countries.. what was their age? Health status? Weight? Smokers or non smokers?

As I posted in another thread- At some point, someone will make the decision to re-open the economy.. Slowly and with limitations, but it will and must happen. It's simply a matter of numbers!
Keep it closed, x amount die.
Open it, and x + y amount die.
Keep in closed, z amount of small business file bankruptcy and unemployment goes to w
Start to re-open and z - u of small business survive and unemployment goes to w - u

The only unknowns are what is the value of x,y, z, w, and u.
And are we willing to accept those values.

What is the value of a human life? It always comes down to money and lets also be brutally honest, every human life has a different value.

I know, cold.. but true.
Hang in There
Motch