View Single Post
Old 04-20-2020, 06:41 PM
pitchattitude
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2017

Originally Posted by Nemack85 View Post
Yhea , the 89k student loan is looking pretty brutal, I’m not sure the comment about me and the regional with the bonuses and not being an airlines pilot understand what I mean

lots of ppl like me, decided to go to atp ( I’m a flight attendant for AA and all the pilots have been telling me for quiet a while to get into atp) even though school Was super expensive, it was the fastest way to get those certs , the school really make sure to advertise the partnership with the regionals on purpose because they know they charge lots of money so they try to convince new ppl to Get those huge loans , The way they sell it is to became a cfi, get paid 15/17 $ and hour instructing while you get the cadet money from the regionals which will help you paying your student loan , well Im sure lots of you knows this I don’t have to explain it

its just kinda bother me that comment, who are you to say I should or shouldn’t be an airline pilot
There are a lot of other ways besides mills like ATP to get your ratings and for less money.

As far as the connection to regionals, many of the other flight schools have (had?) partnerships with regionals. But even then that was not really a necessity to get hired.

The point being made is if you plan to be an airline pilot, get used to this. Look at history. I don’t think there has ever been even a ten year period where things have been stable in probably the last fifty years. Timing is everything and it is purely role of the dice. You just hit things at the wrong time.

I have always likened having a good career at a major airline to the kid that grows up wanting to be a pro ball player. How many play JV, HS and finally get on a college team? How many of those go pro? How many of those get a good contract with good pay and not get injured and sidelined. There is a lot of opportunity cost and physical cost there and for most it just doesn’t payoff.

If you haven’t gone all in with the debt, you should consider a way to put off those expenses and stick with what ever else (in your case sounds like being a FA) for a while and ride out the storm. You need to have a plan b and expect to sit on that debt for a while otherwise.