Thread: 175's are done
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2020, 06:14 AM
XJTFO
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2019

Originally Posted by Itsajob View Post
Mesa has never been the best paying gig out there, but deciding to go there doesn’t mean that you are settling or that you are weak with no other options. Pre-covid19 their pay was about the same for flying the 175 as that at XJT for flying the 145, and they had quicker upgrades which meant more money. I remember being in the jumpseat having a 5 year XJT first talking about how a guy that he knew had gone to Mesa and upgraded in 2 years. He made the comment that he may be a captain, but he’s still at Mesa. When I mentioned that his friend was making $25-30/hr more, logging PIC, flying hard, and making himself much more marketable to a legacy, he didn’t have much of a response. Now even with the benefit of hindsight, people working for a company that exclusively operate a fleet that is on the chopping block continue to look down on a group that will most likely come out of this in much better shape. If your goal was to build a quality resume as fast as you can so that you would be competitive elsewhere, Mesa would have gotten you there faster than XJT. If Mesa recalls furloughed pilots and resumes hiring first, furloughed XJT pilots will be lined up around the block trying to get hired.
Mesa's pay is drastically lower. $4 per hour x 1000 = $4,000
$2500 x4 - $10,000

$14,000 per year less is a lot of money. As a new hire on the 175 at XJT I was having no problem crediting 110-120 hours per month with a little extra effort and some ROE pick ups. Work rules/hotels at XJT are better. As far as pilot skill, all is the same. I have flown with some of the most wonderful captains at XJT and a very small handful of real pieces of garbage. Nasty attitudes Either way Mesa has a great pilot group and their company has offered tremendous stability but the cost is pay. Upgrade times at XJT before this whole mess started had dropped to nada on the 145 and only a few years on the 175.

Last edited by XJTFO; 04-29-2020 at 06:26 AM.