View Single Post
Old 05-01-2020, 12:23 PM
SeeYa
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2019

Originally Posted by OffAtTango View Post
I was in Dulles the other day and saw Commutair, Air Wisconsin, Mesa, Gojet, and Republic planes all parked near eachother waiting to load up passengers. It really made me realize the amount market overlap United has between it's regionals. It seems incredibly inefficient to have that many feeders serving the same airport. 2-3? That seems manageable, but 5? I personally think United's regional model will look very different when all of this is over with. There is speculation that they will follow what Delta did with simplifying their regional flying and split it up by different regions. I could see something like this working out for them:

-Expressjet: CRJ-550's - EWR, DEN, IAH

-Skywest: 175's- West Coast + ORD , (CRJ7 - DEN?)

-Republic: 175's- EWR, ORD, IAH

-Mesa: 175's- IAD, IAH

I think all of the CRJ-200's and 145's will be parked. Those routes, if still around, could be served with a CRJ-550.

Just pure speculation, but after the town hall announcement of 50 seat flying going away, I'm not too sure what to think about C5, and AWI. Also seeing that 2 out of the 3 Trans States Holdings operations have gone under, it really makes you wonder how serious they are about keeping Gojet running. Since United owns 49% of Expressjet (Mana Air), and did initially award them the 175's, it makes me think that they are still interested in working with them. The 175's being taken away did seem like a major blow, but it could have just been a piece to the puzzle. Also, doesn't Expressjet still have a CRJ program? If so, I imagine you guys could easily take on the CRJ-550 if asked to do so. Just my 2 cents as I sit at home bored during quarantine.
'

If United does decide to park the 50 seaters, XJT won't be around