View Single Post
Old 05-23-2020, 06:26 AM
blizzue
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2010
Position: A-320 CA

Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Got it, you’re reaching out as an extension of management to cultivate the next crop of scabs?

“Full speed ahead there junior birdmen! Don’t worry that United is going to have thousands of pilots on furlough and Boeing estimates a 3-5 year recovery.”

What kind of encouragement (or false promises) are you offering here? United is publicly saying all CAPEX is canceled, with the exception of a pilot school, and on the eve of massive pilot furloughs?

What’s the spin? Is it just a profit center of false hope?
I get the feeling you’re upset and I want to be sure you’re upset with management and not a fellow line pilot. I am an ALPA volunteer that volunteered to be a part of Aviate because I enjoy being a mentor. That comes from my life experience of not having a mentor when I needed one and if I can help someone else avoid my mistakes, I consider that a success.

The company asked us a while ago whether or not we as a group of volunteers thought the company should move forward with connecting us with these Aviate pilots. I don’t know what most said but I thought it would be better to connect now, even in the face of uncertainty, than to not.

At least I can connect with these pilots now and tell them what’s happening and they can hear it from me rather than the flight attendant or the van driver.

I can’t tell you what other people are doing, only what I’m doing. I’ve told them about the displacement, the drop in revenue, and the possibility of furlough. I’ve got nothing sell and nothing to spin. My goal is to make sure they have facts and that they don’t make rash decisions.