View Single Post
Old 05-24-2020, 04:48 PM
GogglesPisano
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013
Position: On the hotel shuttle

I've flown both. I much prefer the 737 -- and not just because of the trips.

Both seats are terrible.
Both flight decks are tight.
Both jumpseats are medieval.
Both tend to overspeed on descent. The 717 will keep the thrust levers up while Betty is screaming at you -- not quite like how the Vol 2 reads. In the 737 it's a write-up and a "good to go." In the 717 it's a structural inspection.

717 pros:
1) The noise level is reduced.
2) The AP is more capable (S/E autoland, auto G/A ...)
3) It has an EICAS (or EAD or whatever Douglas called it.)

717 cons:
1) The windows suck. 3 years and I still couldn't get used to the beam in front of my face. They're straight off the DC8, meaning probably the DC6. If you're in the left seat you will occasionally find yourself opening your side window to park at night because the combination of rain and crazing makes them virtually opaque.
2) The wipers are the most useless devices in the history of aviation -- unless you like noise. They conveniently "park" directly in front of your face. You will at some point discover that opening your side window and pouring water on the windscreen while selecting "PARK" may aid the process. Do not try this in flight.
3) The compass that has to be viewed through a mirror -- the second most useless thing in the history of aviation
4) De-ice fluid on your lap.
5) It's fly-by-tab. Meaning heavy and unresponsive. And the tail bangs around in the wind while taxiing.
6) The first GPWS altitude call-out is "1,000." In other words, "Ha ha, you waited too late to configure. I know every other aircraft calls out 2,500 but ... I don't."

In other words it's a shortened MD88 with MD11 glass. In other words, it's a Douglas.

737 pros:
1) It's a Boeing. Meaning it's hydraulic and you can fly it with your fingertips. It's the mainline jet you bring to an airshow because it's a joy to fly.
2) It doesn't break. Seriously, I've had probably a dozen MEL's in the year that I've flown it. There are no nuisance messages because there's no EICAS. Sometimes having a 1960's Fischer-Price alarm system is a good thing. It was rare not to have an MEL on every 717 leg (usually the APU during the summer -- yes, really.)
3) Without a doubt it has the most powerful packs I've encountered (7 type-ratings.) If you want to freeze in August this is your plane.

737 cons:
1) You have to look up at the overhead a lot.
2) The flight deck is loud. Hot mics are standard now. I wear earplugs under DC's and no issues with noise. I lose the headsets at FL180 on every flight over an hour. The earplugs go in from pushback to shutdown. If you're up at cruise without any protection you will become fatigued and receive some possible hearing damage. I see some guys wear headsets for 5 hours but personally I think they're insane -- or really hate earplugs.
3) You are always worried about a tailstrike except on the -700. We are so worried about it on takeoff we tend to eat up too much runway.

When I was hired the "800" was the hot rod of the fleet and fairly senior. Since the merger a lot of that "You'll never catch me in an Airbus," you'd here from the South guys has waned. Mostly due to exposure. Plus a lot of new blood has changed the culture. Now we have guys claiming the 737 is the new "88" at Delta. That's okay with me since I love flying the jet and talk like that will only drive it more junior.

There's no doubt Airbus builds a superior flight deck. No doubt -- and I've flown the 320. But right now I'm hoping to stay on my noisy, cramped, 1960's overhead, can't-put-anything-in-the-side-pocket-of-your-suitcase 737. The only guys I've found to be impressed with the 717 had come off the 88.

So if you're senior to me -- yes, the 737 sucks.

Last edited by GogglesPisano; 05-24-2020 at 05:15 PM.