Thread: Overrun at VABB
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2020, 05:44 AM
beetlehog
Banned

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: Down N Out

Originally Posted by senecacaptain View Post
I suppose the investigation is complete, just like that ?

what "failure" did the Captain commit ? Is this a single pilot airplane ? is the airport information published ? by who ? weather reporting is done by who ? etc. Have prior safety reports been made about that runway by FedEx crews and submitted to the safety team ? what was done with them ?

aircraft accidents/incidents today (2020) are looked at thru the lens of the Swiss cheese model, not "Joe is at fault for f**cking up" etc.

that may be old school but the thinking has changed on "blame"
Who is ultimately in charge of that aircraft? Who makes the final decision. I don't care if there were 2, 3, or 4 crew members on this particular flight, the final authority lies with the person who signed for it.

As far as the weather goes? Look it up. It is fairly easy to find. If the airport wants you to land on a wet, non-grooved, displaced threshold with a tailwind then you better make sure you will be able to stop. It doesn't matter what your landing assessment said you were legal to do it. Is it a good idea? In this case it wasn't. Thankfully no one was hurt and maybe just some minor engine trouble.

Go ahead and investigate and hope the brakes were not working but guess what, this will be pilot error as one of the contributing factors. Hopefully we all learn from it, including myself.

Cheers