View Single Post
Old 07-10-2020, 10:03 AM
ZapBrannigan
Furloughed Again?!

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: Boeing 737

Originally Posted by WHACKMASTER View Post
Well, I’ll probably spend a good chunk of the time worrying about paying bills. I have a side business that has been punched in the gut thanks to COVID and I’ve had to support it with SWA income.

Otherwise, I plan on frequently soaking my white ass in turquoise Caribbean water and also pursuing my life’s passion in the outdoors this fall.

If the support of the side biz wasn’t an issue, I’d take the 5 year ExTO. Or if I had a decent corporate or charter gig, I’d also take the 5 year. So if you know of any gigs like that in the TEB, MMU, HPN, ILM, PHL, EWR, area and can hook me up then you’d get rid of another guy above you for five years
Nah. Couldn't do that to you. I spent 8 years flying corporate during the lost decade and although there were some bright spots, I generally wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. This job is 99% and 1% BS. Corporate was 1% flying and 99% BS.

My wife makes pretty good money so we would get by just fine on the EXTO for 6 months or a year. The two problems I've got with it are, on the one hand i've already done my bit for god and country by weathering several furloughs earlier in my career. That puts me way behind on retirement contributions... so greedily, I'd like to stay and catch up. Also, I just cant think of anything to occupy my time while i'm out. I spent a few months out on medical not that long ago and I was bored silly! With the wife working and the kiddo at school traveling to the turquoise water isnt in the cards.

Still, i'd feel awful if I didn't take it and someone ended up on the street because of it. It's going to be a nail biter, but I'm going to try to make a decision this weekend and if I do take it, most likely will only be the 6 month. Just long enough to buy the science guys time to finish the trials on the engineered antibodies and/or vaccines.