View Single Post
Old 07-10-2020, 10:09 AM
WHACKMASTER
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2010
Position: DOWNGRADE COMPLETE: Thanks Gary. Thanks SWAPA.

Originally Posted by ZapBrannigan View Post
Nah. Couldn't do that to you. I spent 8 years flying corporate during the lost decade and although there were some bright spots, I generally wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. This job is 99% and 1% BS. Corporate was 1% flying and 99% BS.

My wife makes pretty good money so we would get by just fine on the EXTO for 6 months or a year. The two problems I've got with it are, on the one hand i've already done my bit for god and country by weathering several furloughs earlier in my career. That puts me way behind on retirement contributions... so greedily, I'd like to stay and catch up. Also, I just cant think of anything to occupy my time while i'm out. I spent a few months out on medical not that long ago and I was bored silly! With the wife working and the kiddo at school traveling to the turquoise water isnt in the cards.

Still, i'd feel awful if I didn't take it and someone ended up on the street because of it. It's going to be a nail biter, but I'm going to try to make a decision this weekend and if I do take it, most likely will only be the 6 month. Just long enough to buy the science guys time to finish the trials on the engineered antibodies and/or vaccines.
Sounds like logical thinking and reasoning. Yeah, you don’t owe this industry/profession diddly. Worry about yourself at this point. The Lost Decade was less than kind to you.

That’s the thing. Some guys would be bored out of their minds while on extended leave and then there’s guys like me that wouldn’t.

Best of luck with your decision and no matter what path you chose. To be honest, SWA flying bores the **** out of me so some more “interesting” flying would be welcome in a way. All of the other bu!!$hit and drama that goes along with it wouldn’t. 99% / 1% as you say.