View Single Post
Old 07-10-2020, 06:09 PM
flensr
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2015

Originally Posted by WHACKMASTER View Post
I understand where you’re coming from and yes it is easier for me to say hell no to concessions, but I’ve watched the biz play out for over two decades now, so to be honest even if I was “Dean” himself I’d like to think I’d still tell them to go pound sand on concessions to our contract. The same one that took years to get.
No concessions is a nice sentiment.

That said, I can't stay here on 55TFP, and I'll probably have to move and disrupt my whole family and kids' school if I get furloughed. So EXTO, VSP, and furlough would all force me to move in addition to trying to find another job. After 26 yrs in the AF, I don't want to move again. So if I was offered an opportunity to, perhaps, *vote*, lets just say, on an offer to drop my min guarantee to 70 (about what I need to live here) for x months, WTF am I supposed to do? I'm in the bottom 10%, furlough bait all over me and I can't wash it off.

I get it that someone who already makes more than me who isn't at risk of furlough may not be inclined to approve any temporary pay cut. Those people likely took it in the shorts during previous downturns and they've paid their dues. Furthermore, If they could handle a pay cut now (mathematically or emotionally, doesn't matter) they'd be taking VSP or EXTO anyhow. But on the exact same line of reasoning, why should I vote to get my pay cut to zero and have to move in order for someone, who again already makes more than me, to not also take a hit?

I'm not mad at anyone, won't be either. Everyone votes what they think is right. But damned if I'm going to vote myself out of a job so someone with a fatter paycheck and fatter 401k than me can avoid taking a small temporary hit like everyone else. I don't think anyone thinks we would be required to make permanent changes to the CBA. That probably wouldn't be legal anyhow, given that we're in negotiations. Remember, we're talking about specific changes for specific periods of time, not making permanent changes to a CBA that is expiring anyhow.

My respect to everyone taking VSP or EXTO. I'll be in their debt for the rest of my career. But the "no concessions" rallying cry works only up until the company drops the ultimatum and we vote.

Assuming we even get a vote, that is. Reading between the lines it sounds like a lot of people don't even want the choice, they just want to be told what's going to happen to them (and then later complain and second guess it, whatever *it* turns out to be).

There was a warning about rise in tribalism in a SWAPA communication a couple of months ago. Could this issue split the group worse than the tie dispute did last time. One mark of a person's character is if their ideals survive tough time.