View Single Post
Old 08-06-2020, 06:44 PM
firefighterplt
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2020

Story time.

I was out sailing with a lady friend a few years back, and a guy in a light single was doing low passes over the harbor. Probably 200-300’ AGL over the mooring field, turning, descending to 100-150’ or so over some large estates on the water...lap after lap after lap, getting lower and lower and lower. Nothing honestly hazardous about the flying in my book, but he was definitely lower than 500’ over people/vessels/structures.

Normally, I enjoy a good low pass...but this was getting annoying after about lap 12.

I shot a quick message to the FSDO, withholding the N number, asking if they knew of a single engine Cessna operating at very low altitude in the vicinity on that date and time.

They said it was an airplane with a photography crew doing aerial shoots for a popular TV series, all preapproved. Asked if I witnessed anything unprofessional.

”Nope, good to go.”

Additionally, civilians are terrible at this stuff. A Navy fighter aircrew was accused of flying over UC Berkeley years ago at like 300-400’ by some civilians. It was all over the news.

They pulled the maintenance card data and figured out that the civilians were off by an order of magnitude. Sick one, nerds.