View Single Post
Old 08-09-2020, 08:16 AM
DarkSideMoon
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2016

Originally Posted by highfarfast View Post
Yeah, the $600 per week was absurd and doesn't directly relate to the airline bailout.

Anectdotal example here. My wife worked part time and made, after taxes, about $700 per week. She was furloughed and we applied for UE. State benefit was a little over $500 per week. Fed kicked in another $600. After taxes was a little over a grand per week.

Now this really was to do nothing. Not be ready to work, having to answer the phone and be within a call out period of a domicile. She really WAS not doing anything and not held to be ready to do anything.

That is absurd.

They JUST called her back to work though so our gravy train has run out, cares extention or not.
You’re looking at it as “This goes beyond making someone whole!”. And you’re right. I just chose to think of it as a stimulus, which helps those of us still working stay employed. Server friend of mine was making basically twice what she made as a server. She also paid her rent on time, and more importantly, blew money on goods and services. Meanwhile, I limped along on 60% pay and ate ramen noodles and the zucchini from my garden, contributing next to nothing to the economy. In order to keep the economy from completely flatlining, we needed to give people cash and confidence to spend instead of squirreling it away in a mattress somewhere. If that means someone that usually makes 1/3 of what I do gets a little extra cheddar for awhile then bully for them.