View Single Post
Old 08-21-2020, 07:11 PM
Duffman
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by Seneca Pilot View Post
My point had little to do with the interstate commerce clause and much to do with the intrusion of the federal branches of government into states' rights. For anyone with any common sense to assert that some guy growing pot in his back yard for his own use will, in any way, affect interstate commerce is ludicrous. That does not stop the courts from inserting themselves into the case and asserting a broad interpretation of the commerce clause to achieve their goals.

I am not defending Trump except to the extent that he is respecting states' rights and being skewered for it. The court was also wrong in the Filburn case. It is a basic human right to grow ones own food. Do you believe the court was correct in Dred Scott, Buck vs Bell, Korematsu vs US, Plessy vs Ferguson, etc. The court does get it wrong from time to time.
While I am a big proponent of states' rights and local autonomous government, I will point out that Trump has been very aggressive about stepping out of his lane when he wants something, so I can see where people would be skeptical that he's respecting states' rights vs not providing the federal leadership they expect.

Last edited by Duffman; 08-21-2020 at 07:24 PM.