Old 01-31-2008, 05:45 PM
TBoneF15
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007

It sounds to me like you are asking a little more than reserves vs active. If it was that simple, I'd say reserves all the way (I'm a reservist now after 13 yrs active) for all the reasons the other dudes listed...if you are happy with the C-5 job.

It sounds to me (and I could be wrong) like you are asking if it is worth chasing your lifelong dream to fly fast jets. The short answer is hell yes. If all your life you've dreamed of going upside down and pulling g's and gunning bad guys, then you will NEVER be fully satisfied unless you at least gave it a shot. You will be the dude at airshows who looks up and wonders "what if." That's no way to live your life...that is, IF it is a SERIOUS dream of yours, not just a "that would be kinda cool" kind of dream. It may not work out, so there is definitely risk involved, however. But at least you will have tried if that's what you really want.

There is absolutely no comparison to how fun flying a fighter is versus flying a heavy airplane in my opinion. Not even close. A fighter can be so much fun you can't stand it. Admittedly, it becomes routine after a while and you have to stop and smell the roses, but so does anything you do everyday. But I haven't flown fast since Nov and I miss it right now something fierce.

And I will say that pointy jets aren't for everyone by a long shot. You will work long days, live in a very competetive world, and do a lot of things other than fly, some of which are not very fun. You have to be very dedicated or you will be miserable. But those are easy prices for me to pay to do what I (sometimes) do because I love it. Other people feel differently.

Heavy flying is enjoyable, but different. It's fun, but never exhilarating. Trust me, I've done both (new airline guy, not military heavies though).

On your other points...don't worry about ORI prep and promotions and queep and UAVs. Don't worry about airlines and possible career paths and how many flying tours you can get in a row. There's nothing you can do about it now and things are changing so fast right now they will all be different by the time it matters to you anyway. You are going to find BS no matter what avenue you choose. You aren't immune to it in the reserves and you aren't immune to it in heavies. At least place your strongest consideration into what type of flying you want to do. If you want to fly heavies and see the world, fantastic. Have fun. If your priority is stability and homesteading and the reserves gives you that...I completely understand that, brother. You'll note I'm now in the reserves.

If those aren't your priorities, well...flying is about chasing your dreams, isn't it? Might be worth hanging it out there for a shot at your dreams. There is a reason you applied for a pilot slot after 6 years AD when you could already be out...and I'll bet it isn't because you want to eventually be an airline pilot.