Thread: Should I leave?
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2020, 06:40 AM
Firefighterpilo
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2017

Originally Posted by Richmond454 View Post
Currently flying for a regional. Started upgrade training when poop hit the fan. Got sent home and back to the right seat. Airline hasn’t sent out furlough notices yet but I’ll probably be safe if they do. Interviewed for a non aviation job last week. Went well and will find out the results next few days. Starting pay is 80k. Stats: mid 30s, 3000 total time.
I prefer flying as a profession but It’s not the only thing I can imagine myself doing.

Question is should I leave if I get the job? Or do I stay and pray for a quick recovery then upgrade then continue to chase the dream?
I second the LOA angle. In 2010 I took a five year LOA offered by my regional to train and become a firefighter/paramedic to see how I liked it. It offered me a chance to take a career change and keep my seniority number, effectively keeping one foot in each bucket. I ended up loving my new job so much that when my LOA was up I decided to resign my seniority number and keep doing what I am doing. I had never known anything but flying and it was frightening retraining for something different. Now I still fly and instruct on the side but no longer rely on it to feed my family. If there is a different career that peaks you interest I would certainly try and take a leave of absence to pursue it.