View Single Post
Old 02-01-2008, 04:01 PM
utedrummer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Furloughed Righ Seater

well, i was a prop driver at a 121 for some time, didnt want to commute so i gave it up and stopped flying. that only lasted a year and i decided to go to AMF for the "home base". I turned down 3 CRJ offers to do it. well, after several months of the AMF lifestlye i can honestly say that I dont regret the experience but i cant wait to leave and NEVER EVER come back.

MX is terrible. I have been told to "just take it and we'll fix it when we get back" to "dont worry, that lights stays on all the time" to "we'll it does need to be fixed but it should hold up on this flight". We even had a cowl almost fall off the other day in flight because the guy secured ONE HING and walked away, then IT GOT SIGNED OFF and left for a flight. I have never had to stand my ground and fight with MX so much in my flying life to the point where i was concerned about losing my job because i was refusing so many flights due to MX problems. IMO you have too much betting against you in the single pilot IFR cargo world to not have MX on your side.

I am looking forward to getting back to my 121 world and I will take a commute anyday over another day of AMF. I appreciate the frieght dawg pilot better and I can honestly say I am a better pilot for doing it but i will never recommend it to a friend. If you can go 121 DO!!!! Turbine PIC isnt worth it.