View Single Post
Old 09-16-2020, 05:28 AM
Vsop
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2017
Position: 737 A

Originally Posted by Jiggawatt View Post
Interesting idea. One way to frame this would be to come up with a number, say $40K, that seems like an agreeable amount to help get furloughees through one year. Then figure out the % that would need to be deducted from the active guys’ paychecks to meet that. It might be, say, 4.2%. Then vote on that (basically this would make everything precise—it would define the benefit and hopefully drive a number even lower than 5%).

Even more likely to pass would be to basically just put out to everyone: “if all active pilots deducted 5%, furloughed pilots would receive $xxxx per month, so please consider a 5% deduction”, then make it voluntary and hope the majority of guys would opt in. I’m new in the airline biz and maybe it’s laughable to think many guys would do this voluntarily, just throwing ideas out there.

{ full disclosure, I’m in the 1941}
Quick math on this idea. To achieve a flat $40K. The average contribution would be $616/month by the 10,500 working pilots. That works out to 3.7-3.4% range if I assume an average annual salary 200-215K for the 10,500 pilots.