View Single Post
Old 09-16-2020, 06:40 AM
Drum
Banned

Joined APC: Sep 2015
Position: 3+ hour sit in the ATL

Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
Sailing,

I generally agree that the current environment is worse than 9-11 but do not agree that we are in "survival mode." To paraphrase Gloria Gaynor - Delta will survive. Without a doubt DAL will be around. More on that later. Can DAL survive without a trip to BK is the real question in my mind. As to this question I don't see an ALV cut making a difference one way or another.

Your above numbers are totally cherry picked without context. For instance the 2 Billion dollar losses you post above where before the merger when our highest profit was something like 1 Billion. Recently we have producing upwards of 5 Billion a year in profits. This is why DAL will survive - too much upside potential on the back end. Obviously corporate America also thinks this way - thus the non-government funding that DAL secured. Airlines aren't going away, well not all of them anyway, and since we were printing coin prior to Covid we are a pretty safe bet.

OK - so I don't agree with the way you are throwing around certain numbers to make your point without putting it into context but I agree with you on perhaps the bigger points of your post:

This crisis is worse than 9-11 - agreed.
ALV reductions will be self correcting - mostly agree.

Now my disclaimer - in the form of questions for APC:

Who here would trust management to honor a no - furlough clause for an ALV drop?
If we are bargaining for this what should DALPA ask for in return?
What happened to exhausting voluntary measures prior to an ALV cut?

To me the biggest threat here is some sort of lower ALV with a lower TLV that works its way into our PWA permanently. Either through poor negotiation on DALPAs part or some sort of BK induced concession. If the company were to be allowed to lower the ALV every off season and ramp it up every summer it could really hurt us long term.

Scoop
To some this may seem flippant, but this was not a 9-11 "event" - the "affect" though was much worse. What we did get was front row seats to witness the true power of media - social and traditional - to shape an outcome. I hope we learn from this. That's all I'll say about that so please, don't beat me up too bad.

Scoop to answer your questions (in order): No; Scope, Scope and Scope; They exhausted them - the gave us the VEOP/s

Bolded part - my concern as well.