View Single Post
Old 02-05-2008, 05:00 PM
Sniper
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006

Originally Posted by mach946 View Post
. . . in another year I will reach my next goal, and that is to fly Cargo for Atlas.
Why wait another year? Atlas is hiring. If you have 3 jet types, then you're clearly a Captain. Furthermore, Mesa currently has a 3 year seat lock for jet CA's, so, if you got the ERJ type and then went to the CRJ 3 years later, you must have at least 3000 JetPIC, likely more. If you went from CRJ to ERJ, then you're one of no more than a handful of guys at Mesa who's done this and is still there, and you'd have at least 5000 JetPIC, and are likely a IOE CA or in the Training department. You'd also have another 2000 hours or so of SIC @ Mesa if you were hired as a jet FO or another 2000 hours in a turbo prop, either a Dash 8 or a 1900. So, in total, you're a guy with over 8000 hours total time and over 5000 hours Turbine PIC, minimum. If you can't get on @ Atlas right now with that resume in the current environment, then you'll never be able to.

Originally Posted by mach946 View Post
I went to Mesa. Why. I look at it this way, At least Im typed rated.. in three jets. I did not have to pay a dime for it.
You didn't pick all those types up from Mesa (Mesa never had 3 jets. Other than Republic Holdings, I'm not sure any 'regional' has ever had 3 jets on property). CRJ, ERJ, what's the 3rd type? I'd guess 73, like most of the RJ drivers who want to get on with Southwest, but you said you didn't pay for the type, so . . .

You're a minority, which, even if it hurts at some carriers (maybe), you've got to admit it helps @ many others too. You've got 3 jet types, and over 8000 hours TT, with 5000 jet CA time. There are TONS of guys with less than you getting on at every major (except American, but only b/c they're not hiring), NetJets, jetBlue, Spirit, World, Gemini, and Atlas - just to name a few. Guys with times like yours were going to Southwest, Fed Ex, and UPS last year.

There's got to be a reason you're still @ Mesa, a company that hasn't had vacation for CRJ pilots since before Thanksgiving. Have you been trying to leave? If so, there's got to be more to the story. You're resume is certainly a door opener at just about every pilot position I know of.