View Single Post
Old 02-08-2008, 03:53 AM
Toejam
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: 320A

Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
Hey Everyone,

As a student of Political Science I am constantly confronted with the question of weather current security measures make us secure. The inevitable decision we all must make is how much of our personal freedoms we are willing to give-up in order to truly feel secure. Another harsh question we must also face is whether we are giving up this freedom in the name of actual security or weather or not we are merely creating the illusion of security. So these are my questions. [1] How much freedom would you be willing to give-up for the sake of feeling secure? [2] Do you think that current security (namely Airport Security is working/and or good? And, [3] Do you think we're secure; or are our security measures merely an illusion to make us feel better in a post 9/11 world?

Always,

Dreamer
1. Giving up freedoms for the sake of feeling secure is like a dog chasing its tail. Fun to watch, but not something I will try.
2. It's working, although sometime very slow, hense the long lines. Good? Compared to a sharp stick in the eye, yeah I guess.
3. Pre 9/11 hijacking was not suicidal, in that the hijackers mostly wanted to go somewhere, or get their buds out of jail. Having many people that are willing to die (and take others with them) is a relatively new thing. It is not limited to airplanes though, as you can find events like this happening in colleges, stores, restaurants and even churches. It's all an illusion. Pick the one you are comfortable with and keep the line moving...