View Single Post
Old 12-03-2020, 10:16 AM
gloopy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2010
Position: window seat

Originally Posted by theUpsideDown View Post
The miata is boring and silly, change my mind!
Always knowing you're going to be first on Track Day can get pretty boring I guess.

What I don't get is the linking of the 717 to potential MAX orders. I don't think there's any chance DL would ever get a 737-700MAX. Are they even still making that? So with the -800 being the absolute smallest, and likely some -900's after that if the -800's happened, it doesn't seem like very many would be replacing 717 lift at all.

It seems it would mostly be an -800NG and ancient 320 replacement more than anything, with a little 757 cleanup in line with its phase out. Cue the 75 fanbois about how great it is and irreplaceable on a small handful of routes; no one cares. The point is that we currently have a lot of relatively fuel inefficient 757 lift all throughout the sysyem on routes that much more efficient MAX planes theoretically could easily do with no performance issue whatsoever.

If we get the MAX, sure we could see it on the occasional 717 route, however you define that. But the true 717 replacement seems like it would be the "Airbus" 220 family.